Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Recreating Looks


In this entry, I'm going to try to recreate the colors from the left image and will apply it to the photo on the right.


     As you can see, the pictures are obviously different from each other. The photo on the left was shot in the morning while on the right was taken during sunset. The left photo has a increased saturation and highlights. It has a warm tone and the black and whites are not crushed. The right photo however, is more bluish-violet and there is less contrast in the background.





     If you compare the scopes, we can see that the reference photo are balanced while the other one has more blue tones. The vectorscope also tells the difference between the two. The reference photo has more colors especially in red then there are some green and blues, while the other photo, the dominant color is blue and has less saturation. 

 
After


     The Photo you see above is the after version of the image. I increased the gain to brighten up the image and dragged the lift down to make sure that black is black. I also increase the amount of green of the image. What I did, is I increased the amount of saturation a little bit, then I added some blue and yellow in both gamma and gain to make it look warmer and a little blue in highlights so I could change the color of the sky. I also used qualifier to isolate her skin tone so that whenever I changed the colors of the background, her skin tone will remain the same. I lighten her skin a bit so that it wouldn't look like she's burned or something.


     So let's compare the image side by side. Well, I couldn't copy it 100% since they are different images with different settings and time. It's hard to copy the colors because the footage I'm using is dark. It's like I'm doing a "day for night" style only in the opposite way. The girl in pink skin tones is much lighter than the girl in yellow, and also the lighting is different.

     If you are planning to try and recreate colors, make sure that at least the reference you are going to use is somewhat similar; like for example if your reference was shot in the morning then try using a scene taken in the morning/afternoon and if it's taken at night, do the same as well.

     And one more thing, when you want to touch the skin tone using qualifier, make sure you're not overdoing the changes, because if you did, there will be a lot of noise in the footages when you play/render it. Skin tones is the hardest part, you can adjust or edit it but not always. There are times that you just have to let it be to make it look natural. Trying to recreate this look really challenged me. I'm not a pro though, I'm also still learning. This kind of challenge will help me improved more in coloring. So whenever there's a challenge, take it and you will learn something.



No comments:

Post a Comment