Friday, April 22, 2016

Grading with LUTs


     The images below are examples of using look up tables when grading. Luts are like pre-ready grade that are listed and are already plugged in to your software. The challenging part when grading with luts is choosing the right luts for a certain scene.

     For the past few days, I managed to browse the luts and had a glimpse on them. I saw some that I like and some that I might never use in the future. I saved some of my favorite luts as powergrades, so It won't take me so much time looking. When grading, I applied the luts first then adjust them on different node/s. Then, after I achieved the desired look that I want, I'm going to copy it to the others.

Winter

     Since Winter is feels clean and relaxing (sometimes); After I applied a lut, I fixed the brightness and contrast to balanced it. The blue tones comes with the lut.

 

 

Spring

     In here, after I applied the lut, I added some saturation and color boost to make it more colorful and alive. I also added some brightness to it using curves.

 

 

Summer

     Summer is more of yellowish tint. The lut that I applied is too warm, so what I did is I decreased it by adding blue to gamma and gain then I used the Hue vs Sat to lessen the colors that are stong.

 

 

Fall

     In this season, the original footage looks dead. After applying the lut, I focused on adjusting the colors. Fall is more of orange/yellow and a little green. I increased both saturation and color boost then I used Hue vs Hue to change the colors of the grass to yellow/orange. Next I fixed the contrast, brightness and midtones.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment