Thursday, April 21, 2016

LUTs

Working with LUTS

     LUTs or Look up tables are very essential to colorist, because it can help us create more styles, gives us a lot of creative ideas and also make our job faster. For your information, LUT is not a filter that you can use anytime you want. LUTs are used to generate styles on the project that you're working on. Every time you apply a lut make sure that you adjust it, because not all of them looks good when applied, some of them needs some minor adjustments for them to work.

Here are some examples:

BEFORE - AFTER

 

 

 

     For the examples above, I applied three different luts. What I did is I created at least three to five nodes for each clip. Then I applied the LUT I chose on the third node. I did the minor adjustments on the first two nodes so that it won't affect the original style. Some of the minor adjustments I did are fixing the contrast, luma and the midtones. If you think the lut/s you've chosen looks good when applied and you feel satisfied, then you don't have to make certain adjustments. But if it's the other way around in most cases, you have to do adjustments. Let's just hope they are not hard to deal with.

You can watch the process on how I work with LUTs below :)


I haven't really worked with LUTs before, so this would be the first time. I believe it's not perfect but it's worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment